Monday, August 1, 2016

How to avoid getting caught by writer's block

“Get your character in trouble in the first sentence and out of trouble in the last sentence.” 
Barthe DeClements 

"Holy crap! That's alot of headaches!"

Camp NaNoWriMo ended for this summer just recently. I wrote my first novel, or maybe you could call it a draft, which had 50 000 words as a goal. I passed the word count  at 23:57 in other words right before the month changed, so just in time. Gave me a great feeling for a minute there. However the novel isn't done. I will probably get to 65 000 words by the time it ends, with all the editing and so on afterwards also being something that I'll have to go through.
Anyways, I had started my project 7 days late and had things to do for a good week with moving where I couldn't write anything, so if you were wondering "is it possible to write a novel in half a month?" The answer is a big "YES" even from an amateur like me who took his time thinking about the plot, characters and story. I can't confirm it but on the NaNo forums, apparently there were some reaching over 50 000 words in one day. Sounds ridicilous.

Ahh, yes. The problem of "writer's block." Truly a problem I've heard some people have. The story just doesn't start on itself, or the motivation just isn't there. That's true. I myself rarely had any motivation to start writing... Until I did. You see... I never hit a writers block for one simple reason and that was that I had started creating a work that was challenging 'enough' for me. After introduction parts I focused on writing something that would make me 'feel' many different types of emotions and disappear into the story for hours after hours without even noticing. Sometimes I stopped to imagine the setting in what it would look like 'in real life', which was a great way of adding words to the story as I described everything. Another time I took my time to draw on the 'Paint' program how a floor of a building would look like, how the rooms are placed on the floor and where the characters were at that point in time. Imagining it, writing it, experiencing the story made me shed tears atleast dozen times from the feeling of suspense I constantly had. Always write what interests you the most is what I'd like to say about this. 'Plotting vs pantsing' is one of the most heated debates when it comes to writing in general, but all humans grow tired on anything as time goes by. This is why we need variety in our lives, we need exciting, new things to happen to us. People tend to grow tired of plotted out stories and those will never be finished. To be honest, that's one of my fears also. Leaving a story unfinished, that is.

So... When it comes to pantsing, readers sometimes tend to have this notion in their heads that plotting = good writing, pantsing = bad writing, but completely plotted out stories, even if logically completely sound, may be the most boring stories out there. If you want to become an author you should try to understand what readers prefer and what they don't. Becoming familiar with the genre of the type of fiction you want to tell will get you far. I know "reading is boring" and so on, but if there's a story you just have to tell and you know the genre, you really should try to read that type of literature to understand how a story forms, how the rising and falling action works in actuality etc.

This last part I wanted to write this post about the most as it was what I used. It's pantsering, just technically forcing myself to write (though during these parts I mean in this part of the post I did enjoy writing those parts of my story) through everything. I just let my mind come up with reasons as to why something is there, if I was wondering about something, my main character would wonder about it. Twists that I could not have seen coming started happening in the story...
In other words: When you start hitting that keyboard, don't be afraid of the things that you may find as 'asspulls' in your story. This isn't the same as deus ex machinas and forced tropes and cliched writing. It's about you writing a story as it progresses. Once you get better at writing itself, people won't even tell the difference of a plotted out story or a pantsed out story. Though I suggest plotting it along the way. It takes a while to write, after all. Remember to avoid writing plot holes that may make you rewrite your story from half point on or something like that, that's terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment